[MOD] Betony Restored

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Cliffworms

[MOD] Betony Restored

Post by Cliffworms »

Download on Daggerfall Unity Nexus

Watch the trailer

Credits
Hazelnut and Uncanny Valley for the World Data Editor.
Hazelnut, again, for the marketplace NPCs' schedule/weather script.
Propagandist for the very useful World Data Editor additions.
Podleron for the RMB Editor
Interkarma and the wonderful community that gave us Daggerfall Unity
The DFU community for feedback.
Daggerfall's development team, how could I not credit them?

Betony Restored adds the locations that were present in Daggerfall's Betony demo. New locations include 4 villages, 6 dungeons, 13 misc. locations such as shacks and farms and, finally, Betony City. The island is a protectorate of the Kingdom of Daggerfall and, as such, you will see both Betony's and Daggerfall's banners.

In addition, Betony's marketplace is busy with merchants and peddlers who react to bad weather and time of day. Early in the morning, they set up their stalls. At night, the marketplace is empty but some NPCs hang around the taverns. The shops around the marketplace also get an interior revamp with more details and layouts more fitting of a shop. The bank has clerks behind counters, the genereral store has misc. wares lying around and the tailor has a bench you can sit on to try your new boots.

The Betony Palace is also more detailed than the rest, with a proper main hall where the lord hears the peasants' pleas, a council room where a representative of Daggerfall and Betony hold talks, a kitchen, a bedroom and more. Betony City has you covered for guilds as well. All main guilds, plus a hall for Daggerfall's Knights of the Dragon, have a building. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood also have halls in a select few villages.

If you are using Basic Roads and Travel Options, you'll notice that the new locations have been connected to the roads and new roads have been drawn.

Enjoy adventuring in Betony!

INSTALLATION

Requires Daggerfall Unity 0.15.3 or later, Daggerfall Expanded Textures 0.4.1 or later and New Paintings 0.5.0 or later.

First, make sure you are not in Betony when installing this mod.
Either install using Vortex Mod Manager or install manually as described below.

Extract the content of the archive to the StreamingAssets of your Daggerfall Unity directory.

Example : [Your drive]\DagUnity\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets

The .dfmod file will be installed in "Mods".
In-game, activate Betony Restored from the mod launcher.

CONFLICTS/KNOWN ERRORS

Compatible with Basic Roads, World of Daggerfall, Cities Overhaul, Detailed City Walls, Lively Cities, Transparent Windows and Famous Faces of the Iliac Bay.

Transparent Windows Note : You may see visual oddities inside the detailed shops and palace. Also, the stairwell leading to the palace's basement will be covered by grass, but will otherwise be accessible.

World of Daggerfall Note : If using alongside Basic Roads, ensure you have version 0.2.9.1 or later. Otherwise, you will encounter rocks blocking some of the new roads.

boredofpost90slife

Re: [MOD] Betony Restored

Post by boredofpost90slife »

How do we access the palace?
Is it certain hours of operation?
The door is locked.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

boredofpost90slife wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:59 pm How do we access the palace?
The door is locked.
Palaces are accessible from 10AM to 3PM if I recall correctly.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I really liked the busy squares in the city, with all the new sprites and such, great addition to the game. Fits 100%

boredofpost90slife

Post by boredofpost90slife »

Cliffworms wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:05 am
boredofpost90slife wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:59 pm How do we access the palace?
The door is locked.
Palaces are accessible from 10AM to 3PM if I recall correctly.
That was my problem, thanks!

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

The Betony demo was my first proper introduction to Daggerfall, and I see you did a great job to enhance this content (which was originally but superficially unique I guess). In fact, it has long occurred to me that the Betony demo content is good enough for a small-scale self-contained Daggerfall game which could be enhanced just along the lines of what you did here in this mod, because it is possible to just do everything by hand here, without relying on automated mass reproduction of enhancements over the entire game world.

Add in a main quest centred around the island, and you get a complete small game here :)

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

MrFlibble wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:04 pm The Betony demo was my first proper introduction to Daggerfall, and I see you did a great job to enhance this content (which was originally but superficially unique I guess). In fact, it has long occurred to me that the Betony demo content is good enough for a small-scale self-contained Daggerfall game which could be enhanced just along the lines of what you did here in this mod, because it is possible to just do everything by hand here, without relying on automated mass reproduction of enhancements over the entire game world.

Add in a main quest centred around the island, and you get a complete small game here :)
Thanks! I used the same location size and block types but I indeed did some much needed editing to those. For example, in the demo, the locations use the same block of each block type. So a residential block is always the same, which in I think Chestercester meant that the same pattern was spread all around.

So I used some of finished game's blocks to vary things a bit. I also replaced the farms inside Betony City for more homes, a public park and a palace. For the dungeons, I couldn't know which RDBs were used exactly, so I used blocks that made sense with the dungeons. For example, the ruins of a farm's entry point is the dungeon block with the "barn" and animals.

I plan to continue enhancing Betony with other detailed features I want to add all over the Iliac Bay, such as detailed farms and shacks.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

this is amazing!
i wish revamped shops were all over tamriel, not just in betony. but, ill take it. very well done!