What causes this dungeon to be possible in Unity but not Classic?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
YumekoMakai

What causes this dungeon to be possible in Unity but not Classic?

Post by YumekoMakai »

Hey all.

Today I was sent to The Crypt of Stadanius in Anticlere for a quest in Classic Daggerfall. I spent an embarrassingly long time in the dungeon's starting block only to find that it wasn't connected to the other interior blocks; there were no teleports, and there were no doors that led to another block.

Curious, I went to the dungeon in Daggerfall Unity and found that the block was now connected to the other interior blocks through a slope that led to another block.

Here are two screenshots of the automap, the first being from Classic and the next from Unity:
dfc.jpeg
dfc.jpeg (133.87 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
dfu.jpeg
dfu.jpeg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
The general layout is the same dungeon, but it appears that Unity's starting block is lower here, connected to more rooms as a result. The way the layout is in Classic makes it impossible to complete if the quest spawn is not in the starting block, it appears.

I'm mainly making this post to ask if this is just a known issue in Classic, or if this is just a byproduct of differences between the games?

Thanks!

pango

Re: What causes this dungeon to be possible in Unity but not Classic?

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, YumekoMakai!

Difference confirmed in my tests, if you go "straight ahead" in both games, you eventually face different corridors.
That should not happen, given they're both using the same game data. I even made DFU point at the instance of classic Daggerfall, just to make sure they use the same game assets.
I'm puzzled.

(classic game save attached, since it's the hardest to reproduce)
Attachments
SAVE4.zip
(35.38 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

YumekoMakai

Post by YumekoMakai »

Thanks for the welcome pango. :)

Yeah, no idea on this one. As I mentioned I'm pretty sure the dungeon is impossible in Classic, so it's curious that it seems properly connected in Unity. I guess that's a positive? But I'd have no idea about the cause either!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

DFU uses the same layout data as classic and typically shares these same kind of problems. But there are a few rare cases where something is broken enough DFU intervenes during runtime import to fix a problem.

That block is probably one fixed by below PR, or later on in development using this foundation.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/2130

YumekoMakai

Post by YumekoMakai »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:10 am DFU uses the same layout data as classic and typically shares these same kind of problems. But there are a few rare cases where something is broken enough DFU intervenes during runtime import to fix a problem.

That block is probably one fixed by below PR, or later on in development using this foundation.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/2130
Thanks for the insight! Good(?) to know that the data is just broken; I don't feel bad about abandoning that dungeon now. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Didn't know plain DFU does runtime fixes on blocks, interesting!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart