0.16.1 - Cannot apply postprocessing effect changes in-game

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Daniel87

0.16.1 - Cannot apply postprocessing effect changes in-game

Post by Daniel87 »

I do have the same problem actually:

Whenever I make changes to the Postprocessing values, the do not get saved, no matter what I try. I checked if the settings.ini is protected but it seems to be alright. I can edit the values there directly and the changes carry over, but not if I make them inside Daggerfall.

EDIT: It appears as if loading a save game will overwrite settings.ini with the settings that were present in that savegame. Since I cannot change the values ingame, I have to delete all saved games to make sure the values carry over.

EDIT2: I could have sworn that I commented this under a thread - suddenly it is its own threat? What kind of arcane magic is going on here?!
In Julianos we Trust.

Interkarma

Re: Cannot apply postprocessing effect changes in-game

Post by Interkarma »

Please don't necro years old support topics belonging to other people. Even if your problem seems similar, it's often something different. It's best to create a new topic for yourself and describe your problem and environment.

Please see the read before posting sticky at the top of Help & Support for making a good support topic. It helps to include information such as your DFU version and how you installed the game.

In terms of the problem you're describing of not being able to change postprocessing settings, this isn't something that I'm experiencing in a clean setup of DFU. It's most likely a problem with a mod or local setup causing the issue.

Please try setting up a clean copy of DFU 0.16.1 with no mods using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method. It would also help to remove/rename settings.ini so the game setup is starting from fresh.

If you still have troubles changing settings in-game, please zip up your player.log (found in same folder as settings.ini) and attach to a reply here. It might give some indication what's happening.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Thank you for the quick reply Interkarma!

I will do as you suggested and sorry for reviving the necro thread!
In Julianos we Trust.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. :)

I just saw your edit where you said the settings are overwritten when loading a game. This is very odd as none of those settings are stored in save games, only settings.ini. I wonder what's happening there - maybe an older mod? No idea right now.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

I have about 120 mods running, could very well be an older mod and debugging this is daunting :S

I created a custom game in Steam to be able to start the game from there. I use the Steam version of Daggerfall and the current build of DFU (RC v.0.16.1)
In Julianos we Trust.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Steam+DFU is good. You can setup the new test without any mods by unzipping DFU to a new folder and just not add any mods to that folder. You don't need to touch your main setup just yet.

This side-by-side approach is handy to quickly work out if something is caused by a mod or not, without needing to disable lots of mods in your main setup.

Daniel87

Re: 0.16.1 - Cannot apply postprocessing effect changes in-game

Post by Daniel87 »

Yep, definitely a mod problem. I will further investigate and post here if I am able to find the source of the problem.
In Julianos we Trust.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for reporting back. :)

One trick for helping to isolate problems with a lot of mods is to do A/B testing. First disable half the mods and see if that helps, then the other half. Once you know if A or B set triggers the problem, then repeat process in that set mods until you narrow it down to just a few. This should go fairly quickly from 120 > 60 > 30 > 15 > 7.

Please report back which mod caused the problem if you're able to find it. It's nice to have some closure on these things.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Thank you so much, Interkarma!

I carried over my mods in batches to see in which batch the problem was and therefore was able to isolate the problem:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... escription
This was the mod. After finding out, I facepalmed so hard.....
Yeah, 120+ mods makes you forget, what mods you actually run. My skyrim-problem repeats with DFU now - mod it till it breaks.

Thank you for your help again and sorry for bothering you with my stupidity!
In Julianos we Trust.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great work! Thanks again for updating. :)