I am not very good at finding file locations.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
luostneibma

I am not very good at finding file locations.

Post by luostneibma »

The best way that I can describe my problem is that I am trying to download Daggerfall Unity to run on Steam. However I keep on running into little roadblocks on my computer and it can be frustrating.

The issue that I keep on running into is that I can't find the specified folder that I am supposed to unzip my Daggerfall file into.

I will be the first to admit that I am the worst when trying to download videogames, and any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-17 090735.png
Screenshot 2023-11-17 090735.png (87.32 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
Screenshot 2023-11-17 090638.png
Screenshot 2023-11-17 090638.png (85.23 KiB) Viewed 2712 times

Interkarma

Re: I am not very good at finding file locations.

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :) You'll need to create the target path yourself, or unzip directly to that location. It's only a few clicks on Windows. The screens below are from Windows 11, but it's the same process on Windows 10 and earlier.

First right-click the Daggerfall Unity .zip file you downloaded and select "Extract All".

unzip1.png
unzip1.png (30.73 KiB) Viewed 2692 times

Then either type in the destination path or click Browse and create the path using the "New Folder" button in Windows file browser.

unzip2.png
unzip2.png (28.44 KiB) Viewed 2692 times

You can even just keep the default path and unzip it straight into Downloads. DFU doesn't care that much where you unzip it to, and you can always move the entire unzipped folder later.

When updating later, simply unzip to a new folder (never on top of the old version). That's why it's recommended to put the version number in the path, so you can have multiple setups and easily go back and forth between versions if you need to.