Subtitled videos are not playing ingame

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
w0fie

Subtitled videos are not playing ingame

Post by w0fie »

So I subtitled the in game cinematics like the https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ULLO-R ... ws-K8/view guide told me to.

Now for some reason the videos dont play in-game. Even the French version that's been translated isn't working. I'm guessing its something on my end. I'd be glad if someone could help and just to be sure I'd be even more glad if someone tested my video. It's even playing on google drive so I'm thinking its something on my end but I'd love to know why.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGJGFl ... sp=sharing

Daneel53

Re: Subtitled videos are not playing ingame

Post by Daneel53 »

Hello w0fie,

I placed your video into the StreamingAssets/Movies folder of my DFU 1.0.0 copy and it works perfectly.

Are you sure that the MP4 file is into the correct folder? Are you playing under Windows and not Linux?
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

w0fie

Post by w0fie »

Yes everything is how you described. The videos work well on every other software. Also for some reason ANIM0001 and ANIM0011 works well. Maybe its because they don't have subtitles burnt into them? It's probably something on my end but it doesn't matter much if it works for others. BTW I'm really grateful for your guide it helped me tremendously. Couldn't ask for a better guide.

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

But there must exist a reason for your video working on my PC and not on yours.

Due to the way I indicate to proceed, your video track is encoded in h265. I wonder if your PC has the correct decoder installed.

Thanks to Jagget that showed me how to burn subtitles with Handbrake only and subtitles in ASS format and not SRT, I am currently rewriting this part of my tutorial. The result shall be MP4 subtitled videos encoded in h264, may be they will work for you.

My new tutorial should be out in one day or two.
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.

w0fie

Post by w0fie »

Daneel53 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:18 pm But there must exist a reason for your video working on my PC and not on yours.

Due to the way I indicate to proceed, your video track is encoded in h265. I wonder if your PC has the correct decoder installed.

Thanks to Jagget that showed me how to burn subtitles with Handbrake only and subtitles in ASS format and not SRT, I am currently rewriting this part of my tutorial. The result shall be MP4 subtitled videos encoded in h264, may be they will work for you.

My new tutorial should be out in one day or two.
Dude... you are crazy. I just installed h265 codec and guess what... it worked. Haha thanks a lot! I don't know how "legal" the way I did was but it worked and didn't take more than 1 minute.

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

To install video codec in order to simply read video files is perfectly legal.

Happy that it works ! :)

But due to the issue you met and that probably other users will encounter with Windows 10, we will now stay in H264 with the new method to generate subtitled videos that is done only with Handbrake.

w0fie

Post by w0fie »

Hey, happy to help you that the new way is working flawlessly and AegiSub is much much easier than anything I used. Thanks a lot again.