Tavern music "issue"?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Alabywyr

Tavern music "issue"?

Post by Alabywyr »

Hi there, I've just tried the amazing 1.0 release of DFU, and I'm absolutely impressed!
However, I've noticed that tavern music has only a single track looping, independently from how long you wait, how far you travel and so on, it does not change.

I'd like to understand if I should add the other tracks manually somehow or if this is any sort of known issue?

Cheers!

Jay_H

Re: Tavern music "issue"?

Post by Jay_H »

Hello! This is normal behavior. The music in Daggerfall doesn't change after a loop, but when the instance changes. Instances change when you do things like fast travel, which should provide you with a new song (based on the location or the weather, if you're outside).

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:27 pm Hello! This is normal behavior. The music in Daggerfall doesn't change after a loop, but when the instance changes. Instances change when you do things like fast travel, which should provide you with a new song (based on the location or the weather, if you're outside).
I think they're saying that only one tavern theme ever plays regardless of time or location.

Alabywyr, do you have the "Alternate Music" option ticked under "Advanced" in the launcher? That would make it so there is only one song that plays in taverns. Otherwise, the tavern song you get is picked from the list pseudo-randomly every in-game day.

Alabywyr

Post by Alabywyr »

Hey, thanks both for the replies, and well, I've tried both with Alternate music on and off and...same results, kind of.
With Alternate music off I got a different tavern music after traveling 50+ days, once back to the initial location, and trying the same trick a few times, when you enter a tavern you get the same at exactly the same point it was interrupted, by getting out of that particular place.

I'll try a clean install as soon as I get the time, if that is a normal behavior tho I guess there isn't much else I can do :)

pango

Post by pango »

Long time ago (4 years) I had to add a hack to the SongManager so that dungeon track would change as you changed dungeons:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1632

Problem occurred because the SongManager dedicated to dungeons only had one playlist, so didn't detect transition from... dungeon to dungeon.
It's possible other SongManagers have the same issue. Either another similar hack would be needed, or SongManagers need a more reliable way to detect change of environment...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Kab the Bird Ranger

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

DFU 1.1 will be closer to classic DF on this regard. In the new version, when the day changes, the track also changes, even if you are inside the tavern. All taverns will be playing that same song until midnight.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

I've not checked that specifically, but doesn't tavern music change in vanilla DF according to the time of day, not just after fast travel? I remember renting a room at day and resting, and the tune would change when I'd wake up in the evening or at night.