[Linux] Mouse cursor invisible in fullscreen & user interface inoperative

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
dmally

[Linux] Mouse cursor invisible in fullscreen & user interface inoperative

Post by dmally »

Hello!

I just installed DFU 1.0.0 on a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, using the DaggerfallGameFiles method, and have not yet added any mods.

The moment I boot Daggerfall I see a quick blip of the mouse cursor but it then disappears from the window in fullscreen mode. Hitting ALT + TAB will allows me to see where the cursor is and set the application to a windowed format, which solves the issue. But I can't play in fullscreen and can't click on any of the icons in the user interface.

I'm using a Lekvey wireless ergonomic mouse, which I suspect may be my issue, but right now I don't have a wired mouse sitting around that I can test with. I'll borrow one tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue. Fingers crossed. Either way, some help would be amazing -- I miss Daggerfall SO MUCH!
Attachments
save0.zip
(227.46 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Interkarma

Re: [Linux] Mouse cursor invisible in fullscreen & user interface inoperative

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :) My test distro for Linux is a notebook running Ubuntu. I was just playing DFU on there a few days ago and didn't experience this one in fullscreen.

I don't know for sure what's happening. One guess is that possibly a controller is being detected. This disables the mouse cursor with a virtual cursor for controller stick. In theory, you should still see a cursor either way, but it can't hurt to try disabling "Enable Controller" from the front screen of launcher just to be sure.

I'll probably need a primary Linux user to help support this one.

pango

Post by pango »

Hi,
I don't have Ubuntu 22.04.3 running on plain hardware for testing...
I'm wondering though, are you using Wayland or Xorg as graphic server? Could be a compatibility issue with Wayland
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

dark-angel

Post by dark-angel »

Greetings,
I experience a related problem with OSX and version DFU 1.0.0.
The DFU cursor is visible until I move the mouse. Then, it is instantly replaced by the OSX cursor.
If I cmd-tab twice not moving the mouse, I have again the DFU cursor. But again, if I move the same thing happen.
I tried to use Cursorcerer to hide the OSX cursor, but then after moving, I have no cursor at all (like dmally report on Linux).

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't have an answer for this one yet. I haven't been able to reproduce on my Linux or Mac systems. There must be some local configuration triggering it, but no idea what yet. Hopefully it's not some obscure Unity runtime bug.

I found the below for Linux while Googling about. Nothing really helpful though or confirming a Unity runtime bug.

https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comme ... mes_under/
https://itsfoss.com/invisible-mouse-cursor-ubuntu-1310/

It might not even be the same thing on Linux and Mac, despite sounding similar. We'd need steps to reproduce problem to investigate any further.