[1.0.0] New Game on Mac doesn't show provinces

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
TheRothwoman

[1.0.0] New Game on Mac doesn't show provinces

Post by TheRothwoman »

I used the DaggerfallGameFiles method to download 1.0.0 to my Mac (this is my first time with Daggerfall Unity) and everything seemed to be going fine. I located and selected the right folders with arena2, but when I clicked New Game it showed "select your home province" with an otherwise completely black screen; nothing to select and clicking around didn't do anything either. Any idea what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

Interkarma

Re: [1.0.0] New Game on Mac doesn't show provinces

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :) I just ran through a clean setup on my Mac (Mini M1, Sonoma 14.2.1) and wasn't able to reproduce this.

All I can suggest for now is to double-check your DaggerfallGameFiles zip archive was extracted fully into the target location. When looking at the extracted folder using "Get Info". You should see 538,253,190 bytes and 1,689 items.

mac-info.jpg
mac-info.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 654 times

If you extracted into Documents as I have above, you might need to approve Daggerfall Unity's access to read data from Documents at startup.

Hopefully that is of some help.

TheRothwoman

Post by TheRothwoman »

Thanks! Just checked my Get Info tab for the folder and found this, just a major difference in our MB on disk. Could that be it?
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 4.25.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 4.25.26 AM.png (46.43 KiB) Viewed 632 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

TheRothwoman wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:28 am Thanks! Just checked my Get Info tab for the folder and found this, just a major difference in our MB on disk. Could that be it?
Thanks for followup. :) Yeah that is odd. Same number of items though, which makes me wonder if that folder is inside some kind partially online folder (e.g. OneDrive, Dropbox) or a compressed folder.

You could try unzipping game files to another location, just not in the same hierarchy. While size on disk can vary a bit based on filesystem, that zip should always be over 500MB in size once extracted.

TheRothwoman

Post by TheRothwoman »

Welp, turns out all I needed to do was delete the game file folder and redownload it and now everything works fine. But thank you!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great work, happy you could get it sorted :)