Can the opening tutorial be fixed?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
jayhova

Can the opening tutorial be fixed?

Post by jayhova »

One of the post 1.0 changes I would really like to see is a tutorial that works. The tutorial as-is is confusing to new players. It has fixed text so it does not reflect any control reassignments. It is also is purely time-based so that you are warned about things after they happen. There are a couple of things that modern players should be warned about: the need to save, the need to sleep, how certain weapons don't work on some monsters, how hard the starting dungeon is.

The dungeon tutorial should have location triggers, action triggers, inaction triggers, etc.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

All4

Re: Can the opening tutorial be fixed?

Post by All4 »

Agreed. I have seen so many people try to escape ph without knowing you can rest. Also I think an updated tutorial needs to tell you hits are rolled for. When you are swinging your sword and nothing is happening, you may think you are doing something wrong.
While getting wrecked by privateers hold is basically a rite of passage for new players, we don't want people getting frustrated and quitting before they have seen what the game has to offer.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, I keep coming that to this. Because every time I see a new person trying DFU I get reminded when I watch them struggle with the basics the tutorial is supposed to teach them.

It would not even be THAT hard to fix it. But it can't be a mod because no one who need the tutorial will install a tutorial mod before playing for the first time.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:51 pm Yeah, I keep coming that to this. Because every time I see a new person trying DFU I get reminded when I watch them struggle with the basics the tutorial is supposed to teach them.

It would not even be THAT hard to fix it. But it can't be a mod because no one who need the tutorial will install a tutorial mod before playing for the first time.
Precisely!

Very few players will understand the tutorial in its original context. A lot of what the tutorial was doing was explaining how Daggerfall was different from Arena. It was assumed the player had already played Arena and understood the playstyle of these hardcore CRPGs.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

The idiot's fix would be to just have a screenful of tips explaining all the stuff that you guys have mentioned above be displayed before the original tutorial starts?

I mean, is it even possible, for example, to have text displayed once the player kills any monster, not just the quest monster? Or to display text when the player loses HP? I don't remember these being viable quest conditions (but I may be wrong).

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

MrFlibble wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:42 am The idiot's fix would be to just have a screenful of tips explaining all the stuff that you guys have mentioned above be displayed before the original tutorial starts?

I mean, is it even possible, for example, to have text displayed once the player kills any monster, not just the quest monster? Or to display text when the player loses HP? I don't remember these being viable quest conditions (but I may be wrong).
No need to use quest functions for anything. We can just do this directly in C#. So you can triggr tutorial messages when opening doors, killing monsters, when your health goes down.

Heck the tutorial could even do stuff like custom reacting to your character build. «You have equipped a Broadsword. Note that you have only 8% skill with Long Blade and will have a very hard time hitting enemies with this weapon. With your 43% in Axes, an axe would be a much better choice.»

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:24 am No need to use quest functions for anything. We can just do this directly in C#. So you can triggr tutorial messages when opening doors, killing monsters, when your health goes down.

Heck the tutorial could even do stuff like custom reacting to your character build. «You have equipped a Broadsword. Note that you have only 8% skill with Long Blade and will have a very hard time hitting enemies with this weapon. With your 43% in Axes, an axe would be a much better choice.»
Sounds pretty cool. I guess I was mislead by the topic title then, because this is not as much of "fixing" the tutorial as replacing it with something completely different.