[SOLVED] When game loads while retromode is on it looks grainy(?) and pixelated

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
osman

[SOLVED] When game loads while retromode is on it looks grainy(?) and pixelated

Post by osman »

Hi, my issue is a bit hard to explain for me so bear with me. When i exit the game while retro mode is on next time i enter the game all textures look grainy(im not sure if this is the right word) and pixelated. İf i turn off the retro mode and exit the game my next time i enter the game it looks fine but when fast traveling to a new terrain desert, mountain etc. this issue occurs again and also disabling retro mode while the issue persist makes the normal version look worse too. It happens on all aspect ratios, all retro mode settings and multiple versions of DFU(i don't know when it started happening) My graphics card is up to date.
Attachments
This is how my game is supposed to look like
This is how my game is supposed to look like
2024_01_31_20_13_27.jpg (394.1 KiB) Viewed 538 times
This is how my game looks when the problem occurs
This is how my game looks when the problem occurs
2024_01_31_20_12_51.jpg (468.55 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Last edited by osman on Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: When game loads while retromode is on it looks grainy(?) and pixelated

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there. :) The bottom set of images are the correct ones, as mipmaps are disabled by default in retro mode. The fuzzy/grainy look is intentional as it more closely matches classic (which doesn't use mipmaps and is also grainy like this).

You can change this behaviour in setting.ini (how to locate) by setting the below option to true.

Code: Select all

UseMipMapsInRetroMode = True
Changing this setting requires a game restart as mipmaps can only be created when textures are first imported. This is why having retro mode enabled at startup with the above setting false causes mipmaps not to be loaded even when disabling retro mode.

osman

Re: When game loads while retromode is on it looks grainy(?) and pixelated

Post by osman »

Thank you so much! I had a guess that this is how its supposed to look but the fuzzy textures (especially in desert areas) were really hard on my eyes. I'm glad this is a setting that can be turned on and off.