How do you change the base guilds in Daggerfall?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Wandering Battlemage

How do you change the base guilds in Daggerfall?

Post by Wandering Battlemage »

I've been trying to get into Daggerfall modding by changing the Fighters Guild so that Hand-to-Hand replaces Giantish as a requirement and training skill. I used the Unity Editor to change the FightersGuild script and made a mod (attached). However when I go to the Guild Trainer, I can see that it doesn't work. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?
Attachments
Fighters Guild Skill Requirement Change.zip
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Ralzar

Re: How do you change the base guilds in Daggerfall?

Post by Ralzar »

It might work., Note that skills being offered for training and skill required for membership/rank is not the same list.

Wandering Battlemage

Ralzar wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:44 pm Note that skills being offered for training and skill required for membership/rank is not the same list.
I know I changed both GuildSkills and TrainingSkills like the post viewtopic.php?f=22&t=901 mentions. If one change isn't working that's a strong indicator that the other isn't

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The zip file contains a dfmod file. I'd need to see the code to work out what you're trying and why it's not working. My tutorial for guilds is for creating new ones. Changing existing ones is a bit different and I suspect that you're not thinking about it the right way. Note that only 1 mod can change a vanilla guild class at a time though, so bear that in mind.

I do have examples of modifying vanilla guild implementations in my Roleplay & Realism mod for DB and Thieves guild which might get you on the right track. I could do this for you in a few minutes, but that wont help you learn modding which is your stated goal. Let me know if you get stuck though.

Also hand to hand is a guild skill for my Archaeologists guild because it does seem to be an oversight in vanilla, so at least you can train with my mod. DFU is made to match the original game even when it seems odd.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Wandering Battlemage

Hazelnut wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:54 pm The zip file contains a dfmod file. I'd need to see the code to work out what you're trying and why it's not working. My tutorial for guilds is for creating new ones. Changing existing ones is a bit different and I suspect that you're not thinking about it the right way. Note that only 1 mod can change a vanilla guild class at a time though, so bear that in mind.

I do have examples of modifying vanilla guild implementations in my Roleplay & Realism mod for DB and Thieves guild which might get you on the right track. I could do this for you in a few minutes, but that wont help you learn modding which is your stated goal. Let me know if you get stuck though.

Also hand to hand is a guild skill for my Archaeologists guild because it does seem to be an oversight in vanilla, so at least you can train with my mod. DFU is made to match the original game even when it seems odd.
Ok I just pressed extract file on my mod and attached it here, do graphics mods count as changing the guild? Either way I put my own mod as last in the modlist so it should overwrite anything else no?
Attachments
fighters guild skill requirement change.7z
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 7 times