[Linux] Unity Daggerfall has blue artifacts

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
xman1

[Linux] Unity Daggerfall has blue artifacts

Post by xman1 »

It is harder to see in bright scenes, but especially noticeable in dark environments of fast moving blue artifacts. See attached.

Steps taken to rectify:
- Removed all mods and ran straight Unity 3D Daggerfall.
- Tried all graphics settings from low to high.
- Nothing else running.

System is the following:
5800X3D CPU
7800XT GPU.
Manjaro
Probably doesn't matter, but running a res of 3840x1600.

As a test, i loaded up Windows Daggerfall Unity (The GoG version) and it does not exist on this version. It is running via Wine / Lutris runner 7.2.2..

Any clues how to fix? Note no other problems in any other games.
Attachments
2024_02_07_20_34_27.jpg
2024_02_07_20_34_27.jpg (340.04 KiB) Viewed 534 times

numidium3rd

Re: [Linux] Unity Daggerfall has blue artifacts

Post by numidium3rd »

- Removed all mods and ran straight Unity 3D Daggerfall.
If you're using the GoG cut then you have mods. I see the modded graphics in your screenshot. I'm guessing the blue dots have something to do with whatever texture mod that is.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

xman1

Post by xman1 »

Maybe I wasn't clear.

The above screenshot is from the Linux Unity version - 1.0 and is only used in reference to show the artifacts. In that particular instance, it had some mods running. I disabled them as a test after that shot was taken, same problem. No Mods were running and I still get the affect. Went full on Retro, and same problem, just the blue dots got larger due to lower res. I tested many different ways. Tested quality levels. Tested everything I can think of.... Same problem.

The GoG version is just what I had handy to test against. I installed it, it is running on Windows (not Linux) as that is the only version there is, and the GoG Windows version does not have the problem. The problem only happens on the current Linux version.

Is that clear? Not sure what this guide is about getting off GoG. The GoG one works perfectly! :D

pango

Post by pango »

Never seen this, nor heard of this problem with Daggerfall Unity, so my guesses would be the video driver or the video card (overheating maybe, or overclocked VRAM).
Since it shows up on the screenshot I assume it's not the video cable.

You said it doesn't show up in other games, but do they have such dark places?
Also, if that's a problem in the drivers, it could be triggered by something specific in Daggerfall Unity shaders (even if that seems unlikely).

Search for "GPU speckles", "GPU green dots", "GPU blue dots", etc.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

xman1

Post by xman1 »

Yeah I play everything. Nothing overclocked. Factory stock.

Vid card temp during play - 46 C

CPU Temp - 61 C

Nothing is working hard. Play Dark games all the time, no issue. In Daggerfall, I can see it in the light areas too, just you have to look for it as it is drowned out by the brightness. Example screenshot for that attached.

Just wonder if this is a Linux only issue W Daggerfall Unity specifically?. Well, it obviously is as playing the Windows version in Lutris using a Windows Runner has no problems.
Attachments
2024_02_04_16_51_28.jpg
2024_02_04_16_51_28.jpg (689.88 KiB) Viewed 451 times

xman1

Post by xman1 »

Just to compare. Here is the GoG version screenshot. Just a note, this is still running under Linux, just using one of the Lutris Wine Runners. Looks perfect:
Attachments
2024_02_09_18_23_46.jpg
2024_02_09_18_23_46.jpg (579.86 KiB) Viewed 449 times

xman1

Post by xman1 »

Last thought.... If anyone wants me to test for them anything that will get this fixed, I am 100% happy to.

pango

Post by pango »

xman1 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:00 am Just wonder if this is a Linux only issue W Daggerfall Unity specifically?
I've been testing Daggerfall Unity under Linux since 2018, again that's not a known issue to me.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

xman1

Post by xman1 »

Could be this newer OpenGL. They keep adding to it like mad I am told with little testing.

Fun stuff... Not.