Controller friendly resting/bank/divide dialogs suggestion + controller problems,its abit minefield.. 1.0.0 is not ready

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
ruthan

Controller friendly resting/bank/divide dialogs suggestion + controller problems,its abit minefield.. 1.0.0 is not ready

Post by ruthan »

Hi,
can someone make controller friendly resting window mod?

I mean i managed to map whole interface on controller, but resting dialog require write no keyboard number of hours of resting.. I would be better just add 2 arrows to add and subrasct hours.. It should be very easy to code.

I know controller support i vanilla Daggerfall Unity is unfinished, there are not mapped all actions for some reason..

My mapping, im using Steam Big picture as launcher and LT as shift key to change functions.. for LT+Dpad Up, LT+A etc, to have enough actions.. magic word to make these is Shift mode as its applicable only to some controller buttons and add its not intuitive.. but it could be done.. sometimes even wizard stops to register changes.
If you ask if Steam Virtual keyboard mapped on some controller button combo is working with Daggerfall unity it does... Action is under system - Show virtual keyboard. On Android Moonlight streaming its possible to use 3 finger double tap, or 3 finger hold, use Android virtual keyboard..

There some tutorials how to use controller but all with 3rd party utilities and profiles.. Add no Steam game to Steam and use it with Stem Big picture mode and even stream it to phone with controller is nice..
There are already some Daggerfall Unity profiles, but afaik there some important keyboard actions which are missing so i had to adjust it.. and also its only working with you have default keyboard Daggerfall settings, otherwise you have to adjust them too..

Maybe you can also use in-game game secondary keyset.. its clever enough to support mode shift, like key combos like LT+A, LT+B.. LT+Dpad Up and other combos.. For some not clever reason vanilla version has only WASD for left stick and right stick as Mouselook and all other buttons are unmapped..

Other unclear thing is how to set some key binding empty, none, after you already put something there, for example by mistake?

I streamed like 200 hours of Skyrim to my phone and now i can Daggerfall too..
Last edited by ruthan on Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
It still need a bit qualityOfLife not yet done mods,more 3D models props(in HandmadeMod), 3D enemies not colliding with walls + some alternative Hexen 2 like hack&slash dance mod and it would be a dream. I played Ultima0+, but i know what i want :D

ruthan

Re: Controller friendly resting dialog suggestion..

Post by ruthan »

I messed with internal key mapper there are problems..

No alternative for ESC, it has to be mapped for controller Start button.

You can use key combinations and keys it self alone for other other.. its wrongly reported as conflict.

Other missing option is map right stick as mouse for menu, because left is already mapped for WSAD for movement..
Its really strange desing that mouse is mapped on left stick in menu, but within gameplay to right stick, untill you open some menu.. its very cumbersome design.. Its sort of normal to map mouse on right stick as standard.

Oh, advanced menu has 2 instances too.. it should be actually printed within, but still its not possible to map Start button there.. its working if you doing it with locally connected controller, but not remotely from Steam Big picture one..

Use much bigger mouse cursor as options, will help a lot with game streaming, that dos its tiny on 2580x1080 phone screen..

Update 1 found:
Mouse settings for controller in joystick menu, its very complicated and duplicite in some ways that is probably game by default has not working setup, but its not fixing issues above..
I dont thing that try to stay vanilla its good for controller settings, these settings was made for some Joystick, i would like to see someone actually to play Daggerfall on some Joystick.. It need some modern redesign.. own mapping besides, 2 console keyaboard profiles.

Use modern Buttons names like A,B, LT etc.. instead of Joy B8, JoyB6 would be very handly too.. There is eve problem too long text if Joy B6+ Joy B8, you see just ... and text tooltip for full text, decrease text size, would be more optimal, especially if someone wants to share screenshot of mapping .. will not help.

Sneaking and crouching with limited number of buttons its complicated in Steam profile you can integrate 2/3 actions together.. - Steal+Crouch+Sneak, with inbuild options you cant.. Im not sure if integrate all together is even clever but Steam profile is doing it.

For game which are advertising controller support in its menu, its far from desired..
Last edited by ruthan on Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It still need a bit qualityOfLife not yet done mods,more 3D models props(in HandmadeMod), 3D enemies not colliding with walls + some alternative Hexen 2 like hack&slash dance mod and it would be a dream. I played Ultima0+, but i know what i want :D

ruthan

Re: Controller friendly resting dialog suggestion + game controller problems, its hell

Post by ruthan »

The most crazy thing is if you use Steam controller profile and map it to keyboard and mouse action in primary control set (for locally connected USB controller) + use Moonlight and remotely map controller action to Secondary control set (im using PS4 controller with phone just for info), its actually working together.. for using controller locally and remotely too, without any adjustments :)
But it is not fixing problems above, its just nice bonus.

ruthan

Re: Controller friendly resting dialog suggestion + game controller problems, its abit minefield, but i found workaround

Post by ruthan »

Bank screen needs keyboard too..

ruthan

Re: Controller friendly resting dialog suggestion + game controller problems, its abit minefield, but i found workaround

Post by ruthan »

Im still playing on controller, but there are things which, are possible only on keyboard and game clearly is not ready for it.. For example dividing stacked items.. On my is CRTL+Left.. Click im getting out of button..
I dunno if it is hardcoded, for me CTRL is sneak key.. i tried Sneak + click through controller but its not working.. And running out of button for CTRL mapping, so perhaps double click or something like that for item dividing would be nice.. or add some item split button to inventory buttons.. but its clearly more work.. and after it would need some some slider in dialog, its much better than virtual keyboard..
Im using some not programmers virtual keyboard on my phone, so no CTRL there are when than it would be not nice, with half of screen used for virtual keyboard..