Daggerfall Proofreading Project

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
mentil

Daggerfall Proofreading Project

Post by mentil »

I hope this is the right place to put this post. I'm hoping to have this work integrated into the DFU project, but if that's not possible, I can release it as a mod.

I spent a week proofreading (by hand) all of DFU's quest text, and the localization CSV files; I fixed hundreds of typos and grammatical errors. I made a changelog documenting all of these fixes.
I also improved the formatting of the books, so they're now more legible. It would've taken me another week to proofread all of them so I only did a few.

In addition to the straight fixes, I also changed a few things for the sake of consistency: the Pickpocket skill is now called Pickpocketing everywhere (in the vein of Backstabbing and Lockpicking); contrarily, Critical Strike is now used everywhere instead of Critical Striking (as I thought the former sounded a bit better.) The Cart is now called the Wagon everywhere (except on the travel screen, since I couldn't figure out how to modify that text.) I actually would've changed it to Cart everywhere, except the 'Wagon' button in the inventory screen is seen more often, and I couldn't figure out how to modify that, either.

The zipped file is <2MB so I could just attach it here, but am unsure if this is the best place to put it, in order for it to be added to DFU. Or, maybe the maintainers prefer the original typo-ridden text (although that seems unlikely given many of the errors pointed out on the UESP quest pages have been corrected.)

Jagget

Re: Daggerfall Proofreading Project

Post by Jagget »

That's a great initiative!
You can supply it as a mod, it will work well, and I think there will be demand for it.
Take any translation mod for a structure if you want.

Or you can create a PR with these changes, though, just changing CSVs won't be sufficient, you need to modify the localization records built-in into the game.
Daggerfall Russian Translation

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

It should be noted that carts and wagons are not the same thing. In Daggerfall you do in fact buy a cart and not a wagon. All two-wheeled horse-drawn vehicles are carts. Four-wheeled horse-drawn vehicles are wagons.

See the wikipedia article
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

mentil

Post by mentil »

Ok I submitted a pull request. Hopefully I did that right, since I've never done one before.
jayhova wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:16 am It should be noted that carts and wagons are not the same thing. In Daggerfall you do in fact buy a cart and not a wagon. All two-wheeled horse-drawn vehicles are carts. Four-wheeled horse-drawn vehicles are wagons.
Thus why I prefer the term 'Cart', however the 'Wagon' inventory button is very prominent so I figured consistency won out. Also, The Free Dictionary has one definition of 'Wagon' which includes all carts as a subset of wagons. Nonetheless, I left the item name alone, because the Inventory/Transport menu buttons are pre-rendered graphics which I couldn't figure out how to change easily, that are pulled from the DF files. If the Localization effort ever makes it easy to change these graphics, then it'd make more sense to change everything to 'Cart', but inventory item names in old saves won't update, so might as well leave it as 'Small Cart'.

I suspect, given the name, you were eventually supposed to be able to buy a 'Large Cart', and maybe some type of wagon, but those never made it in, thus the inconsistencies.
Last edited by mentil on Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

People no longer differentiate between the two but they are quite different. When they put the game together there was probably not a good idea what sort of vehicle the PC would have.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.