Changing the way that NPC/villager reactions (dispositions) work.

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Cpt. Basch

Changing the way that NPC/villager reactions (dispositions) work.

Post by Cpt. Basch »

Howdy,

I've been replaying Daggerfall via the Unity port, and I've finally hit the point in the game that I so often hit back in 2012-2013 when I played on DOSBox, which is that I'm entirely fed up with asking NPCs for directions in quests.
We all know how rude and unhelpful Daggerfall's NPCs are, even with a pretty adequate Personality stat. Well, I'm tired of it, so I'd like to make a simple mod that changes how NPCs respond to player-prompted dialogue (looking for a person, location, etc...) so that NPCs are almost universally helpful. Frankly, if I'm in a village with 6 houses and barely anybody will tell me where their neighbour lives, my immersion is shattered.

I digress. I've got the DFU source code and the correct version of Unity installed. What, if any, would be the appropriate way to change these values in the game? This would largely be for personal use, as I just want to save myself time so I'm not running around a city like a headless chicken, becoming evermore frustrated that nobody will tell me how to get somewhere, but if I can make this work, it'd be cool to publish it, too. I'm hoping to just alter some values, instead of needing to write a script or get knee-deep in code.

tl;dr: I want to create a mod that could be called something like, 'Almost always helpful NPCs'.

Thanks for the help, and I apologise if this has been asked before, or if this isn't the appropriate category. Fully anticipating a response like, "Of course I know how to make that mod. But I don't want to tell the likes of you."
I'm captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca! Don't believe Ondore's lies.