[SOLVED] 'Ready Weapon' toggles weapon and lantern light

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
CasualClark

'Ready Weapon' toggles weapon and lantern light: Feature or Bug?

Post by CasualClark »

Moved to Help and Support Forum.

CasualClark

[SOLVED] 'Ready Weapon' toggles weapon and lantern light

Post by CasualClark »

Finally playing 1.0 with a number of compatible mods (or so I hope). One annoying issue is when toggling the F key to wield or holster a weapon, any lighting source in inventory, such as your lantern or candles, turns on when weapon is unholstered. I'd rather hot key lighting than have it turn on whenever a weapon is holstered.

Also note that when the light source is on, and you douse it in your inventory, the light source now comes on when you wield a weapon.

Anyone know if this is a known DFU base or Mod related feature or bug?
Last edited by CasualClark on Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hazelnut

Re: 'Ready Weapon' toggles weapon and lantern light: Feature or Bug?

Post by Hazelnut »

Did you rebind the key? IIRC the default to get out or put away the weapon is Z. Please check whether this occurs without mods, as I think this may be a mod issue because the light source stuff in DFU doesn't get affected by weapons if I remember correctly.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

CasualClark

Re: 'Ready Weapon' toggles weapon and lantern light: Feature or Bug?

Post by CasualClark »

Thanks for the post! Yeah, I did rebind Ready Weapon to the F key, but I just found the problem.

The mod "HUD Torch Indicator" defaults to the F key to toggle the lantern, which was also bound to my Ready Weapon key. You can change the torch toggle key in the mod's settings.

Also turns out the F key is the default for a feature where you can circumnavigate city walls when you are standing just outside the walls. I'm looking into whether that is a DFU base feature or from a mod. This additional key bind conflict was causing a problem when climbing city walls and reaching the top only to encounter a mob, such as a rat. I was getting a 'can't travel when in combat' message when pressing F and couldn't equip my weapon.

Changed Ready Weapon to the default Z. Problems solved!