Difficulty with texture replacing, as a user/player

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Cookieskoon

Difficulty with texture replacing, as a user/player

Post by Cookieskoon »

Hello! I am having a very peculiar problem, which seems as though it should not at all even be a problem.

Before I describe it let me lay some groundwork. I have Googled for a solution or guide to this ad-nauseam at this point. I asked on Nexus to no avail. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked to make sure I was doing things right to the best of my knowledge. I'm stumped, and I feel I am misinterpreting something real hardcore.

So I made an account just to ask for help because it's stressing me out.

I have a few texture replacement PNGs. The one amongst them I can immediately test out is a dungeon entrance replacer. I have placed said PNGs in the correct location as far as I can tell (DaggerfallUnity_Data > StreamingAssets > Textures > Img).

It is the only file the mod came with. No further instruction nor plugin. Just a PNG and where to place it.

It will not appear in game. I have gone looking to see if I am missing a step and the very little information I can find suggests I have done it correctly. Clearly not, though.

So I ask- am I missing something about texture replacement? An option somewhere? File naming? Folder building? .Ini tweaking? I have the worst ADHD so missing one detail forever until it is finally pointed out to me is something not at all beyond me.

Thank you in advance!

Notes as requested by the pinned readme thread:

I am using the Steam build as a foundation
It is Daggerfall Unity Version 1.0.0
I do not believe I have any other modifications which should be interfering, as I am a generally light modder.

King of Worms

Re: Difficulty with texture replacing, as a user/player

Post by King of Worms »

Place it in here
DaggerfallUnity_Data > StreamingAssets > Textures

not in the IMG folder

Cookieskoon

Post by Cookieskoon »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:36 am Place it in here
DaggerfallUnity_Data > StreamingAssets > Textures

not in the IMG folder
Well I'll be danged!

:lol: Thank you! I figured it would all come down to some tiny innocuous thing like this.

Considering how hard it was for me to find the answer I'm happy to have this out there in the ether in case anybody else has the same problem and is just too shy/embarrassed to admit it.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

No worries, glad I could help

Cookieskoon

Post by Cookieskoon »

I want to post this here, again in case anybody looking had the same confusion I did.

Seems that texture replacers with img in their filename do go in the img folder, and those lacking that in their file name do not.

Or at least that is how it's working on my end.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

You are for some reason just rediscovering what was already described in a detail in a mod guide... maybe save yourself some time and read it

https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... #ui-images

Whole guide
https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... y/modding/

Cookieskoon

Post by Cookieskoon »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:19 pm You are for some reason just rediscovering what was already described in a detail in a mod guide... maybe save yourself some time and read it

https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... #ui-images

Whole guide
https://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dag ... y/modding/
Not re-discovering; learning for the first time.

I appreciate the lead! I didn't get anywhere Google-searching. Including finding the aforementioned guide.

I don't say this with any hint of hyperbole, ADHD is a genuine pain in the arse. I'm almost 40 now, so I take my stumbling in stride these days, but it's truly not for lack of trying on my part.