The Big Hello Thread

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
SangvinPingvin

Re: The Big Hello Thread

Post by SangvinPingvin »

Hi!

I'm a 41 year old Swede who fell in love with Daggerfall (DOS) in my late teens. After a long hiatus after Oblivion, the Covid pandemic gave me the opportunity to start gaming again - I had a long backlog with Witcher II-III + Skyrim to tackle and while modding Skyrim I eventually came across Skygerfall which led me here! So cool to see talented modders making Daggerfall great again - looking forward to contributing in some small way if I can to this vibrant community.

thenameisthegame

Post by thenameisthegame »

Well, hi all!

I haven't been on the forums much, but am starting to show up here a bit more. I started on a discord server a couple years back and figured getting to know the place here could be beneficial. I have been a big fan of Daggerfall since that PCGamer Betony demo, only managed to get a copy of the game after pooling in with a friend a few years later, and before I knew it I was enjoying every TES games that came out since. That I got to try at least... I hear horror stories for Battlespire... and hey I got Arena later too and while that was crazy, it didn't feel too bad! I never got to finish it though, but I got a few pieces of that staff.

Daggerfall still feels like such a huge world, compared to everything in the video-game industry, and DFU is something I couldn't imagine become reality yet there it is and every day more for it and its mods impress me on how much more this game can give thanks to the passion of those making it happen!

If I'm not busy trying to keep a 'vanilla' save for crosschecking base-DFU or mod bugs I stumble upon... I like to spend my time in DFU with my overpowered 'Trial' Orc, my magicka-buffed 'Sage' High Elf... or my 'Terminarcher' Wood Elf using ''a very specific set of weapons from perhaps a distant and different universe entirely''.

Maybe I'll try my hand at modding one day... I'd sure like some gauntlets that don't have those gold trims (I mean, every other pieces of armor in the game exist with a version without gold trim except the gauntlets, makes me wonder if they got lost in the original DF release candidate build or forgotten/didn't have time to make them)

hydralisk98

Post by hydralisk98 »

Greetings fellaws, I am a 24yo transfem Canadian heavily invested into worldbuilding, simulationism and retro game engines.

I am quite new to playing Daggerfall properly (easy to get stuck in the first dungeon and all... newbie to Daggerfall things I guess), just started a first playthrough mere days ago. I am most interested in modding and creating custom content part of such, as I really enjoy the Daggerfall Unity's engine and got some ambition with QGIS. I do have some limited experience with C# & Unity under my belt and got diverging tastes from vanilla-ish Daggerfall as far as the fantasy setting (I want to develop a solarpunk gameworld) and some gameplay loops (Wanna enrich the non-violent experience) are concerned.

Hopefully getting more enjoyment out of Daggerfall Unity as I learn the game, its systems and tinker with such. Farewell. ^*^

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

A belated hello to SangvinPingvin, thenameisthegame, and hydralisk98. Welcome to the forums. :)

ISDsign

Post by ISDsign »

Hey everyone!

Been around on the Discord for a little bit, figured I'd make an account here as well.

Though I'm no stranger to Elder Scrolls, I'm a new fan to Daggerfall - I picked Unity up around a year ago and fell in love. It really scratched that deep, almost tabletop-like life sim itch I crave that very few games offer.

Professionally I'm now a product designer, but I have been messing around with minor tweaks in the GECK since at least 2012. As fate would have it, the softwares I picked up at school wound up overlapping with game industry tech, and nowadays we use game engines themselves to render animations. I was able to get more serious about modding 2 years ago and scratchbuilt a re-imagined classic Fallout weapon for New Vegas.

Since my love for Daggerfall is now up there with NV, I'm itching to expand the vision of the original game in lore friendly ways, primarily through sprites!
Last edited by ISDsign on Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey ISDsign, welcome to the forums. :)

It's great you're interested in modding the game. Be sure to show off your work in Creator's Corner when you're ready. :)

ideaevict

Post by ideaevict »

Hi,
I've been playing the DOS version of Daggerfall for years. It was a buggy broken mess, but a fun buggy broken mess.
Over time I learned how to make the game's brokenness work to my advantage.

Ive been hearing about this project for a while and decided I'd check it out. After all, open source ports are way more preferable to play with than the original on a DOS emulator (i.e. GZDoom, RotT, EDuke, FreeSpace 2 Project etc).

Roranicus434

Post by Roranicus434 »

Hey there! Just a random interweb citizen who started out as a Skybaby and begun to work their way backwards through the Elder Scrolls games. I am incredibly passionate for the lore of the series and the development history of the series in real life as well. I have been following Daggerfall unity since beta 13.5 and for some reason have only now just decided to make an account on the forums. It has been so wonderful experiencing the revival of Daggerfall, getting to see modders' creative visions, and observing this loving community, and I am definitely overjoyed to finally become a part of it here. Again, my sincerest thanks to InterKarma and all the amazing people involved.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey! Welcome to the forums ideaevict and Roranicus434!

I'm sorry for taking so long to welcome you both, I've been tied up with other work.

karata

Post by karata »

Hello there