[solved] Qrc files: changes are not displayed

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Interkarma

Re: [solved] Qrc files: changes are not displayed

Post by Interkarma »

OK, making some progress now. I've changed the following items on my end:
  1. FNT files are now read from StreamingAssets/Fonts. This means you can just drop a FNT replacement directly into Daggerfall Unity and it will use that. If any FNT is missing or invalid then game will not start properly.
  2. Changed quests to load as Latin-1 encoding so that resulting bytecode will map to extended ASCII for your accented characters.
Putting the two together, output now looks like this:
accented-characters.jpg
accented-characters.jpg (112.97 KiB) Viewed 7549 times
It's still not 100% correct. Not all characters map correctly from source encoding. I'll try to fix this later as I can or at least try to understand the problem better.

Once I'm happy, these changes will make their way into next set of builds. I will likely need to revisit this later to support other sources of text in the game. But quests should display OK once you have these changes in next builds.

Catch up with me again after new builds are out if you still have problems. :)

Igor

Post by Igor »

If you need to support different languages, then you need to use Unicode. Not everyone uses the Latin alphabet.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall itself uses 256-character bitmap fonts and the latin alphabet only. I have no plans to expand the UI and text handling past what Daggerfall uses at this time.

These minor changes are only to support delvisomanda in his process, which will also allow for similar changes by existing French/German translations targeting classic Daggerfall.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

With that little test you did, now I know how the font editor works, and I've already fixed the old font. This is the new link.

https://mega.nz/#!aA9x0TLS!z6y0RJmDIio8 ... laDu19BpKM

I'll start modifying the other fonts for now, until you implement the fonts folder in a new build. You don't know how happy this makes me :D :lol: .
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Hey Interkarma, I'm amazed by how you are putting forward the posibility for localization just like that. As a native spanish speaker, I'm grateful. Needless to say, this is very useful for a broader community.
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm... we Spanish speakers should probably make a translation topic somewhere for planning purposes at some point. Probably over in Modding.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Well, I'll leave it to you. You know how this site works, and someone with the knowledge you have on daggerfall unity will be very helpful. especially with the quest format.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Arl wrote:Hey Interkarma, I'm amazed by how you are putting forward the posibility for localization just like that. As a native spanish speaker, I'm grateful. Needless to say, this is very useful for a broader community.
It's no problem. I'm just following the basic solution already available to classic Daggerfall and trying to find ways to make that work with the Daggerfall Unity text layer as well.

I'd like to do better with translations in Daggerfall Unity. By using a free Daggerfall install as the baseline for assets, we're also tied into some of its limitations. It's not an ideal solution but sometimes a poor solution is better than no solution, especially when so much work has already been done over the years to translate Daggerfall in this manner.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

With your updated FNT file and some encoding improvements on my end, this now looks pretty good!

I'll issue new builds when I can today and write up how you can get started translating quests in Daggerfall Unity with what you already have so far.
accented-characters-2.jpg
accented-characters-2.jpg (111.88 KiB) Viewed 7443 times

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

That's great news. This will only work for the quest txt, right? The books, the text. rsc and the strings on fall. exe work differently, don't they?

I appreciate all the side work you're doing when you're working on a milestone like the magic system.

edit: I'm burning my eyes, editing the fonts.