[MOD] Real Grass 2

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
TheLacus

Re: [MOD] Real Grass 2

Post by TheLacus »

Midknightprince wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 pm Hey where do the presets go for this ?
I have my own preset but I can't get it to show up from the mod presets menu.
Mine is called realgrass.json, it's in local low/Daggerfall Unity mods/exported presets/realgrass.
I can't find the default presets for real Grass either, they show up in the mod, but I can't find where they actually are they're not in local low and they're not in the mods folder..
Your messin up my grass showin up cause its so dam beautifull huh ? :D
You jelouse....
Custom presets can be placed inside StreamingAssets\Presets\realgrass.
ExportedPresets folder is the output path for presets created in game and then exported to be shared with others.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

There is no presets folder in dfu since the last two updates, so I guess I have to make it ( that's what it is though), so I guess something changed with builds maybe ?
Regardless of that, how are the presets showing up in the mod presets if there is no preset folder ( because that's the case until I create it).
Confused, so I created a presets folder in streaming assets, and a folder inside that called realgrass, correct ?
Seems like the presets that you can see from the mod menu are part of the mod and not in some presets folder because there is nothing until I make it.

Okay it doesn't matter it works, so that's what's screwing me up default DaggerfallUnity does not create the presets folder and the presets in the grass mod do not get saved there either, and there is no explanation in the readme about the presets it's just that you can do it I think..
I read a few times, maybe I'm just reading an old version of the readme, but regardless: with this update I had to create a preset folder, and last update didn't have one either so I'm just curious where the default presets that come with the mod get put ?
Maybe this is why the loading screen doesn't seem to work right now but I will check that out, I think maybe check out the presets folder thing I was talking about I think maybe something is not working like it's supposed to just a heads up...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

ExportedPresets is for presets exported by the game to be shared with others.
StreamingAssets/Presets is used to import presets shared by others.

You don't have to worry about presets included with mods, they are managed automatically and you don't need to do anything about them. ;)
You can find more informations on how to use presets here.

I'll see what issue you're having with Loading Screen mod, but it's unlikely to be related.

Erlaak

Post by Erlaak »

Hi,

great mod, thank you very much!

Just one small thing: after loading a save the game goes from ~1.2GB to 5+GB in 10s (posting here because this only happens with this mod). Is this normal? ;)

Cheers,
Erlaak

edit: this is on Linux!

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Erlaak wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:33 pm Hi,

great mod, thank you very much!

Just one small thing: after loading a save the game goes from ~1.2GB to 5+GB in 10s (posting here because this only happens with this mod). Is this normal? ;)

Cheers,
Erlaak

edit: this is on Linux!
In terms of what? RAM usage? VRAM usage? Save file size? It's a somewhat memory-intensive mod if the settings are cranked up, but it shouldn't cause too much trouble once it's fully loaded, unless you have very little RAM in your system.

Erlaak

Post by Erlaak »

Sorry, yes RAM, with all the other mods disabled.
I mean, I was just a bit surprised by that number, but if you guys tell me that this is normal I'm fine with that. :)

After loading a save just outside of town, Daggerfall, in summer.
- no mods: 1.5GB
- grass OFF, other mods ON (DREAM, handpainted, birds, sky, interior lights, 3d trees, a couple others) : 3.3GB
- only grass mod, DREAM presets: 5.5GB
- grass mod + other mods: 7.2GB

- only grass mod, all options to the min, stones enabled: 5GB
- only grass mod, DREAM presets except: stones disabled: 3.5GB

I can give the windows version a try, to compare.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Erlaak wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:20 pm Sorry, yes RAM, with all the other mods disabled.
I mean, I was just a bit surprised by that number, but if you guys tell me that this is normal I'm fine with that. :)

After loading a save just outside of town, Daggerfall, in summer.
- no mods: 1.5GB
- grass OFF, other mods ON (DREAM, handpainted, birds, sky, interior lights, 3d trees, a couple others) : 3.3GB
- only grass mod, DREAM presets: 5.5GB
- grass mod + other mods: 7.2GB

- only grass mod, all options to the min, stones enabled: 5GB
- only grass mod, DREAM presets except: stones disabled: 3.5GB

I can give the windows version a try, to compare.
Hi!

Memory usage is related to the number of terrain "pieces" and the features that you enable in settings.

There is a setting in the core game called terrain distance that affects the number of terrains, placed around the player to create a big open world. There is also a mod that increase this even further. A certain amount of memory is used for each terrain to store all the informations for the grass; specifically, there is a 2D map which defines the amount of grass on every point of the ground. You can image that the terrain is divided in squares and each square is assigned a value. Some precision is needed to place it correctly on transitions (i.e. ground to water) so if you sum all this data it can take a significative amount of memory. If you enable flowers or stones, they take their own space so the difference is quite noticeable.

A possible improvement would be to only add grass to the most near terrains around the player, but effectively freeing memory is not simple as it might sound. Terrains are continuosly recicled as you walk in a direction and this process needs to be as smooth as possible. You can already notice small freezes (even without this mod) when terrain streaming is performed so there isn't much room for additional background activities.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

That does seem like a lot. With a bunch of mods, including this one, DFU uses 3-5 GB generally for me (about 1 GB for this mod when I'm outside). Although I have Real Grass' density settings DRASTICALLY reduced, not just for performance reasons, but to be able to actually see the ground (and bodies to loot) still. I've got thick density down to 2-6 and thin down to 0-2.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Allerka wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:11 pm That does seem like a lot. With a bunch of mods, including this one, DFU uses 3-5 GB generally for me (about 1 GB for this mod when I'm outside). Although I have Real Grass' density settings DRASTICALLY reduced, not just for performance reasons, but to be able to actually see the ground (and bodies to loot) still. I've got thick density down to 2-6 and thin down to 0-2.
Density has no effect on memory usage. The difference might be caused by a different terrain distance and other mods installed.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Really? That's surprising. Looks like you're right though, just took a look at different settings, about the same memory usage. Huh. The performance boost I saw probably came from dropping from meshes to billboards, then. It's mostly just a hit when I'm using Tedious Travel, though, from having to rapidly calculate all that continuously. Walking around is generally fine for me.